I’m writing this months’ column from the couch in our AirBnB in London. I’ve spent the last five weeks travelling from NYC, around Europe and to the UK with my husband and son — it’s been amazing. Two years of saving and planning finally happened!
I had great visions of being very stylish while travelling, did my research before packing (well, looked at street style photos from northern winters) but if I’m really honest, I’ve spent much of the trip feeling a bit of a frump (and calling BS on those photos of girls with bare ankles). With temperatures ranging from minus-14 in NYC, minus-six to a high of two in Prague, to a whopping high of 16 in Rome, it’s been a bit of a style struggle – especially for an Aucklander who never really needs to dress for the cold. I’ve just wanted to be warm each day. The other thing I’ve had to deal with is boredom with the contents of my suitcase. Of course, I’ve been able to relieve myself of that a little with shopping!
Apart from loads of big, snuggly knitwear, here’s what I’ve been seeing in the stores on my trip:
• Sparkly shoes – from large diamantés crusted on trainers to glitter or lurex threads on boots, shoes are full-on disco darlings of fun. Combat boots abound, too.
• Magenta, yellow, cobalt, orange and red – bold hues have been everywhere in everything which is great in winter.
• High-waisted, wide legged pants in everything from bold stripes to florals and plains. Often with an activewear inspired stripe down the side, worn with heels or flats.
• Stirrup pants.
• Multi-coloured fake fur jackets.
• Blouses and shirts rather than tops, often with tie detailing at the neck.
One thing we can be sure of, we’re not ‘behind’ in New Zealand and I’ve no doubt that these things are currently hanging on the new season racks of boutiques as I type this. So, even though the weather is still hot and there’s more summer to be had, get out and take a look at what you’ll be wearing when the chilly days hit. Meanwhile, I need to pack some new boots into my bag…
I’m brimming with inspiration from my travels and would love to help you look amazing this year. If you’d like a hand looking your very best, get in touch. Check out testimonials from many delighted clients at signaturestyle.co.nz or call me on 09 529 5115 to pop into my 330 Parnell Road studio for a no-obligation coffee and chat. I look forward to hearing from you!
09 529 5115