- 185g butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
Makes 1 x 20cm cake | Takes 75 minutes | Plus cooling time | Gluten-free
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Cream together butter, sugar and orange zest until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until the mixture has almost doubled in size. Add yoghurt and orange juice and mix until just combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, ground almonds and baking soda. Fold through the wet mix and pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 55–60 minutes, until browned and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the syrup, combine orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Cook for 3–4 minutes until the mixture has slightly thickened. Add orange slices and cook for another 2–3 minutes.
- To serve, arrange orange slices on top of the cake, drizzle over the syrup and allow to cool slightly before slicing.
- Variation Try spooning the cake batter into large muffin tins, bake for 20–25 minutes and serve upside down with a single slice of orange on top. Makes 8–10 individual cakes.
My Underground Deli Cookbook
Jess’ Underground Kitchen