We are lucky enough to have friends and family scattered around the world who we can stay with. Our stopover in Abu Dhabi after working in the South of France was a definite highlight for us in 2015. Our Aunty Kellie, Uncle Marty and cousins Hauata and Manawa had activities planned for us for the whole time we were there. We went on a desert safari, sand-boarded down huge sand dunes, watched (and tried) belly dancing and smoked shisha under the stars. We visited the Sheikh Zayed Mosque and had amazing dinners at some very opulent hotels.
This salad was something we tried when we were all out at dinner together. It is a fresh, light salad that has amazing textures.
Ingredients for Salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pita breads
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, de-seeded and sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 5 radishes, quartered
- 4 handfuls lettuce leaves
Ingredients for Dressing
- handful mint leaves
- handful coriander leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a large fry pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and fry the pita breads separately until crisp. Remove from the pan, cut into squares and season.
- Arrange all of the other salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- Place all of the salad dressing ingredients into a small food processor and whizz until combined. Dress the salad when ready to serve, and sprinkle the pita pieces on top.
Recipe: Karena and Kasey Bird
From the TVNZ 1 series, Karena and Kasey’s Kitchen Diplomacy.