The foot is a complex structure of 26 bones and 33 joints, held together and supported by scores of ligaments. These components work together to provide the body with support, balance, and mobility. A structural flaw or malfunction in any one part can result in the development of problems elsewhere in the body.
A baby’s foot is padded with fat and is highly flexible. Children begin to walk anywhere between eight and 18 months of age. A child learning to walk receives important sensory information from the soles of their feet. Most toddlers are flat-footed when they first start walking or tend to turn their feet inwards. The flat-footedness usually improves as the feet strengthen, but it is not always the case. A wait-and-see-if-they-grow-out-of-it approach is not good enough. Good quality supportive footwear is a key to your children’s health and well-being.
Shoes cheaply made with an inflexible FLAT sole and synthetic materials make walking not only more difficult but could lead to health problems in the future. It is vital to get proper quality shoes for your child.
Shoes for your toddler should be made of genuine leather and ideally have features including:
- • a firm, comfortable fit both lengthways and widthways
- • sole flexibility
- • anatomic leather insole with absorbing ‘small pillow’ which supports correct feet position
- • rounded toe
- • high and firm heel counter
- • Thomas heel, used for heightening middle part of a shoe’s sole for a couple of millimetres (depending on child’s age and height). This helps the correct development of varus and prevents depression of the head of the talus
- • laces, zipper or Velcro to prevent too much movement or slipping of the foot inside the shoe
- buying cheap shoes from the fast fashion stores
- shoes made by low-cost mass manufacturers
- shoes made of plastic, man-made leather, synthetic and toxic material
Children’s specialists and podiatrists DO NOT recommend wearing synthetic sports shoes and flip-flops all the time.
At Little Globus we have available beautiful, good quality anatomic shoes. All our shoes exclusively made in Europe. Our brands are well known for putting together correct shoe construction around creative and stylish children shoe fashion.