Don’t believe everything you read about the Auckland property residential rental market—it might be correct; but it could also be outdated, or incorrect; or even worse, it could be fake news!
We have all seen the attention-grabbing headlines, here’s a recent sample:
“Landlords worried as Government moves on compulsory heating in rental properties”
“It was like being in a coffin’: Aucklander shares experience renting in NZ’s most expensive city”
“Landlords welcome new meth report: Money on problem that doesn’t exist”
“Property predictions for 2018”
“Meth-testing in homes—don’t bother”
“Rental home heating regulations should be in force”
“$1.3 million spent on meth clean up in state houses – just $3000 on mould”
“What’s squeezing the life out of New Zealand’s rental market?”
“Landlords reveal why your rent is rising”
“Buying property for the short-term rental market”
So how do you sort out what might be accurate or truthful, and what might apply to your own situation?
- Did you know that the rental market slows down at certain times of the year, negatively affecting the time to rent and rental returns; and that this can vary from city to city?
- Do you know what the rental market is doing right now, suburb by suburb, or city by city?
- Are queues of prospective tenants a myth or reality for Auckland? Or does tenant interest vary according to location and the type of property you are trying to rent?
- What about the legislative changes affecting rental properties that came into law on 4 April 2018 – do you know about this?
- Or the additional changes to the law governing rental properties that will be compulsory from 1 July next year?
- Do you know what these new laws are and how they apply? Or are you relying on what’s been speculated in, or even relatively ignored by the media? Do you understand how these changes will affect you and your property?
- • Are you aware of what a PCBU is, and how this affects you and your rental property? Do you know that landlords, property managers and tenants all have obligations to discharge as PCBU’s (a person conducting a business or undertaking)?
By not knowing you risk significant fines for non-compliance, and with the correct information you can significantly enhance your rental returns or reduce the time needed to find great tenants.
So why not ask the experts!
Quinovic Property Management specialises in managing residential rental properties and we have been doing this for over 30 years. With a nationwide network of 34 offices, 180+ staff including an in-house property lawyer, and thousands of properties under management, we know the rental property market inside out. It’s all we do.
Our free offer
Our Parnell and Viaduct branches are offering to give you free, up to date, accurate, informed and customised information that is relevant to your unique circumstances. And if there’s enough people wanting the same information, we will also publish the questions and answers in our next column. So, email your questions to email@example.com
But if you are the sort of person who likes to talk things through, then give Kerry or Robbie a call and have a chat.