Therapeutic masks nourish by providing vitamins and minerals. They rejuvenate by refining pores, healing scaring, evening out the colour tone, soothing and moisturising the skin. They are easy to make from home. The base of bentonite clay acts like a magnet for dirt and toxins that accumulate deep in the skin. It is rich in minerals such as iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium and silica.
Mask for Mature Skin
- 6 parts powdered bentonite clay
- 5 parts manuka honey
- 2 parts aloe vera gel
- 1 x vitamin E and vitamin A capsule (squeezed)
- 2 tsp evening primrose oil
- 2 drops rose mosquito essential oil
- Mix all together and apply on freshly cleaned skin.
- Leave for 20 minutes.
- Use this time to relax – feet up.
- Then wipe off with a warm flannel.
Coconut and Vanilla Whipped Body Butter
- 1 cup of cocoa butter, grated
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 10 drops of your specific dosha essential oil**
- ½ cup of almond oil
- Melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil in a double boiler or in bowl placed in a saucepan of boiling water.
- When melted completely, add almond oil and dosha essential oil*
- Chill in the refrigerator or freezer until slightly hardened (about 20-30 minutes)
- Whip with your hand mixer until smooth and creamy
- Place into a container.
It will harden a bit more due to the coconut oil. Simply scoop some out and it will melt in your hand so that you can rub it into your skin. Makes around one cup.
Words: Perry McDonald
Shop at ayurvedahealth.co.nz