This family favourite is great served with mash and green veges. If you’re cooking for children reduce the amount of cayenne to suit their tastebuds.
- 6-8 good-quality pork sausages or other good-quality sausages
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp fruity chutney or pickle
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Prick sausages and cook in a heavy- based frypan over medium heat or in an oven preheated to 200˚C fanbake until browned all over (20 minutes).
- While sausages are cooking, heat oil in a large pot, add onions to the pan and cook over medium-low heat until onions are very soft and starting to brown (12 minutes). Stir in all remaining ingredients except sausages and simmer gently over low heat for 15 minutes. Add browned sausages and simmer another 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve hot.
- This recipe is extracted from Annabel’s new autumn winter annual Annabel Langbein A Free Range Life: Share the Love (Annabel Langbein Media, $24.95), available from Paper Plus, the Warehouse, and all good supermarkets and bookshops. For more great Annabel Langbein recipes, and to find out about her Share the Love Potluck campaign and your chance to win a trip for two to Wanaka for lunch at her place, visit annabel-langbein.com
Prep 10 mins // Cook 40 mins // Serves 4 // DF GF